Sunday, December 14, 2014

The Capital Building

The footsteps crunched on the soft grass as ahead of me lay a huge white building. It's two colossal pairs of stairs are only matched the amazing pale center with the point on top. I swiveled my head back and forth, inspecting the two wings that were connected to the center only heightening the building's amazingness. I entered the structure with high hopes and


each room met my expectations and exceeded them. One room in particular I enjoyed was the House Chamber in the interior of the building. It has 448 seats and is surrounded by portraits of important people.

One of my favorite portraits is the one of Edward I of England. I really like his portrait because of his proud significant look, hence the crown and hair. He ruled from 1239 to 1307 and he contributed to our government by finding the Parliamentary Constitution of England which we took part of our Constitution from. The artist was Laura Gardin Fraser.

Another portrait I really liked is Gaius, for he had a very strong look to him, like he was ready for anything life throws at him. He was a Roman jurist and lived from 110 to 180. He throughly analyzed the elements of Roman law that held all of the Roman civilization together. He also wrote many works, his most famous is the Institutes. The artist was Joseph Kiselewski.

The last portrait that was one of my top three is portrait of Hammurabi. I love the clothing he is wearing and also the detail in his hair and beard. It gives it a very important look. Hammurabi lived in 1792 to 1750 B.C. and was the King of Babylonia. He was also the creator of the Code of Hammurabi, hence the name, which is one of the earliest legal literature of rules for the people. The artist was Thoams Hudson Jones.

I turned my head slowly to the side and laughed as the thought of my portrait being on these walls flashed in my head. I took another glance around the room and walked out, feeling glad that our nation has been influenced by such important people.

No comments:

Post a Comment